Violin and chamber music master classes in Kintai Arts Residency 8-14th of July, 2019, Kintai (Lithuania)
Just a few days before the beginning of Kintai Music Festival, we invite the young violinists to improve their mastery in a calm environment surrounded by beautiful nature: on the 8th-14th of July, a recognized violinist and cultural figure Martynas Švėgžda von Bekker (Germany-Lithuania) will hold master classes in Kintai Arts Residency (Kintai, Lithuania).
Kintai Music Festival has always paid attention to education – whether it is holding professional music concerts in the areas remote from cultural centres or organizing master classes for young musicians. Usually, the main participants were children or young teenagers; this year, M. Švėgžda von Bekker expects to share the professional peculiarities and his rich educational experience with high school pupils or students.
We invite you to register to the courses until the 1st of June.
Martynas Švėgžda von Bekker (Germany-Lithuania)
Classes will include:
- Preparing for competitions, entrance / final exams, CD recordings, etc.
- Lessons are taught in: English, German, French, Russian and Lithuanian
- Assessment of hand-position and current technique
- Finding and expressing personal sounding – tone
- Virtuoso bow technique training
- Tips for left-hand motor skills and coordination
- General analysis of technical, musical, mental and form aspects
- General development of chamber music concept and individualization of individual voices
- Capability to listen to a partner and yourself
- Assessment of the current situation and practical advices
- Advices for improving mental and physical condition
Information for participants:
- Please include the list of works (from old, baroque to modern music) to the registration form.
- 45-minute 7 lessons, rehearsals with a concertmaster – € 250 in total.
- Possibility to stay at the Academy during all the event + 3 meals a day – € 175 in total. Please note in the registration form if you want tk use this option.
- Final daytime concerts of master classes in the program of Kintai Music Festival on the 13th and 14th of July.
- The number of participants in the seminar is limited to 5 students, duets or ensembles.
About the teacher Martynas Švėgžda von Bekker:
Martynas Švėgžda von Bekker was born in 1967 in Vilnius, Lithuania. At age five, he got his first violin lessons from his grandmother E. Strazdaitė-Bekerienė, who studied with L. Auer, J. Mařak, J. Feld and J. Thibaud. At age seven, he played his first recital, and at age eleven he performed with Lithuanian State Symphony Orchestra.
1973-1986: learning at M.K. Čiurlionis Art Gymnasium.
1986-1989: studies at the State Conservatoire of the Lithuanian SSR with prof. R. Katilius
1989-1996: studies at the Higher School of Music and Theater in Hamburg with prof. M. Lubotsky; graduation with honors.
Further musical studies with Eberhard Feltz (1983), Igor Bezrodny (1986), Igor Oistrach (1988), Volker Balfield, Ralf Gothoni, Detlev Kraus (1990-1992) and Boris Garlitsky (1996).
1983: participation in the International Jaroslav Koziano Violin Competition in the Czech Republic (4th place).
1984: participation in Lithuanian Young Violinists Competition (2nd place).
1990: participation in the International Johannes Brahms Violin Competition (3rd place).
1991-1995: active concert activity in Lithuania and Germany with piano trio Coloris. As its member, he won his first Elise Meyer Foundation awards and became second laureate in Hausmann Music Competition in Hamburg.
Since 1990, M. Švėgžda von Bekker actively organises solo and chamber music concerts in Europe, USA and Asia. He has performed with Berlin Symphony Orchestra, Georgian Symphony Orchestra and Lithuanian State Symphony Orchestra and Lithuanian Chamber Orchestra, Hamburg Symphony Orchestra and Gloriam Philharmonic Orchestra in Jakarta, Indonesia.
M. Švėgžda von Becker performed with H.-D. Baum, K.-P. Seibel, G. Tshitshinadze, I. Uriasch, N. Lugansky, D. Kraus, S. Sondecki, M. Lubotsky, D. Mc. Tier, G. Rivin and Y. Mazurkevich.
Recordings by the performer are stored in the archives of the following broadcasters: LRT (Lithuania), SWR, NDR (Germany), Ostankino (Russia), Chalom Canal (France), ICTV (Iceland).
In 1997 and 2009, Martynas Švėgžda von Bekker was awarded with the title of Lithuanian Culture Honorary Attaché.
The artist participated in the International Kichompré Competition in France as a member of the jury (2002-2004) and conducted master classes under Erasmus and Nordplus mobility programs at the Lisbon Conservatoires and Universities (2005), Copenhagen (2005-2006), Cagliari (2009), Oslo (2009), and under the Fulbright Program at Boston University (2009), Longy School of Music in Boston and Berkeley College of Music, Boston (2010).
Since 2003, M. Švėgžda von Bekker is an associate professor at the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theater.
In 2015, he has established an international mobile interdisciplinary art academy – Alternative Academy of Arts.
Since 2014, M. Švėgžda von Bekker leads master classes each year at Alfred Schnittke International Academy, Johannes Brahms Conservatory in Hamburg (Germany), Stasys Šimkus Conservatory and Vytautas Magnus University (Lithuania).
Since 2016, he is an associate professor at the Johannes Brahms Conservatory in Hamburg.